If there’s one thing I love, it’s a good deal. Another thing I love is a great loyalty program. Of course, it’s no surprise that my favorite loyalty program belongs to Sephora. So when you combine a great loyalty program with a great deal, it makes for one exciting shopping experience! Twice a year, Sephora gifts its loyalty members a percent off everything in the entire store. Including brands that absolutely never go on sale otherwise. In case you’re not familiar with the program, there are 3 tiers. Beauty Insider, VIB, and VIB Rouge. During the Sephora Beauty Insider Sale, the percent off amount (and the number of days you have to shop) increases with each tier.
This time, VIB Rouge members get 20% off between August 24 and September 3. VIB will get 15% off, and Beauty Insider will get 10% off in the coming days.
During each Beauty Insider sale, I generally try to choose my products in two categories – Basics and Experiments. Leading up to each sale, I take a quick inventory of my usual suspects and see if anything will need replaced in the next couple of months. If I’m going to have to buy a new moisturizer or eye cream soon, I might as well do it at 20% off! Of course, since I am a self proclaimed beauty addict, I also have to try some new things. Sometimes it’s palettes I’ve been eyeing, or products I’ve been hearing or reading about. But they’re always things I don’t want to pay full price to try.
*Record scratching noise…*
Hold up, wait a minute. As I started taking pictures for my original Sephora Beauty Insider Sale post, I realized I had mentioned almost all of the products on my list to you before in other posts. Since I know hearing the same things over and over is not remotely entertaining or helpful (even if I strongly believe in the products), I wanted to revise the second half of this post.
Instead of preaching about my favorite products again, I feel like it might be more helpful if I share a list of beginner, intermediate, and expert products you might want in your makeup case. I’ll share the category/type of product and an example of one I recommend for each. If, in the end, you prefer I tell you about my go-tos again, just ask in the comments below. As you know, I’m always happy to share my opinions. 😉
Alright young grasshopper, this part is for you. As a makeup newbie, here are the “essentials” you should have in your kit:
– Mascara – Hourglass Caution Extreme Lash – $29
– Foundation / BB Cream (less coverage) – I’m hesitant to recommend a foundation, as I’m in the middle of switching from MAC (not available at Sephora) to Laura Mercier and both are a bit expensive for a beginner product. So, I recommend going into your local Sephora, discussing your skincare concerns, getting color matched, and picking a custom foundation/BB Cream that is just right for you.
– Blush – Bobbi Brown Blush – $32
– Moisturizer – Glamglow Volcasmic Matte Moisturizer – $49 – Again, this one is really expensive, but it’s a product I really believe in. However, any moisturizer that doesn’t make you break out (and that you remember to use!) will do wonders for your skin.
– Sunscreen – Supergoop Every Day Sunscreen – $19
– Lip Gloss – Sephora Collection Ultra Shine Lip Gel – $14 OR Sephora Collection Colorful Gloss Balm – $8 (Both formulas are amazing and come in tons of colors)
You can create amazing looks with just these few products. It’s not enough makeup to make you look “overdone”, but enough to cover any minor blemishes and enhance your natural beauty. Plus, the moisturizer and sunscreen will benefit you for the rest of your life – whether you’re 16 or 60.
Got the beauty basics down pat and just looking to refine your craft? Here are some products I recommend to help your glow up:
– Highlighter – Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Vanilla Quartz – $38
– Eyeshadow palette – Huda Beauty Obsessions – $27, OR Anastasia Norvina – $42
– Eyeliner Pen – Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liner – $22
– Liquid Lip – Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain – $14, Smashbox Always On Matte Liquid Lipstick – $24, OR Nars Powermatte Lip Pigment – $26
Alright you beauty guru. I’m sure there aren’t many products or recommendations I can make that you haven’t already heard about, considered, or mastered. So here are just a few of my all time favorites.
– Eye Cream – Drunk Elephant Shaba Complex Eye Serum ($60)
– Lip Gloss – Pat McGrath Lust: Gloss ($28) – Aliengelic and Divine Rose are two favorites (you can read my full review of the Lust: Gloss here)
– Brow Pen – Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Brow Color ($22) – For some reason the dark colors are always sold out in any kind of brow pen. However, my Sephora girls gave me the best advice (they never let me down!). Depending on your hair color, you can use eyeliner as a brow pen! I use the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liner ($22) in Dark Brown.
– Collagen – Hum Nutrition Collagen Pop – $12
Have you shopped the Sephora Beauty Insider Sale? What is on your list? Let me know in the comments below!