Looking for a warm, gooey, comforting soup that will knock your socks off? This recipe is the bee’s knees. Seriously, it’s the cat’s meow. Ok, ok, as tempting as it is, I won’t continue this post using silly idioms. But, I will continue with how much I love this dairy free corn chowder. When I first set out to find the best dairy free, gluten free, legume free recipes, most everyone thought I’d be destined to a flavor-free life. Luckily for me, those naysayers were super wrong.
After every Christmas and Easter, my mom always made me baked potato soup from leftover mashed potatoes and/or hash browns. Then, I put most of the containers in the freezer and could treat myself to that delicious holiday treat all year round. Of course, the soup was primarily dairy, with some potatoes thrown in. Subsequently, in my search for the perfect non-cream creamy replacement, I tried everything – soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk. Nevertheless, nothing was quite the same. And then I found it.
Unless you’ve tried this particular hack before, you’re never going to believe me. But trust in the Dairy Free Corn Chowder. Surprisingly, this trick works. What is it, you ask? Cashews. Not cashew milk. Soaked raw cashews. First you soak them. Next you blend them. Then you add them to the soup. That’s it! So totally weird and yet so simple.
Dairy Free Corn Chowder
2 tbsp EVOO
½ onion diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 red pepper diced
6 new potatoes diced small
4 c chicken broth (or veggie for vegans/vegetarians)
1 c cashews soaked in water for at least 4 hours
½ bag frozen corn
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pour olive oil into a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Toss in diced onion and minced garlic and saute until fragrant and onion becomes translucent.
3. Add diced red pepper and cook a few more minutes until the diced pepper begins to soften.
4. Stir in diced potatoes.
5. Pour in 3 cups of the chicken or vegetable broth, reserving 1 cup for later.
6. Cover and allow soup to boil for 30 minutes or until potatoes become soft.
7. Drain soaked cashews and pour into a blender with remaining 1 cup of broth.
8. Blend until smooth.
9. Pour cashew cream into your soup and stir to combine.
10. Stir in corn and allow soup to cook a little longer until corn is warmed through.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste.
*Use vegetable broth to make this recipe both vegetarian and vegan.
*Add shrimp to make this soup even more hearty and delectable.
Looking for more vegan and vegetarian recipes? Try my Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup Recipe and my Maple Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Recipe!