Do you ever end up with way too much of something? Like maybe you went to an apple orchard and got way too many apples? Or maybe you’re like me and you go to the grocery store without a list and decide you need to buy ALL THE APPLES! If you haven’t figured it out yet, I have too many apples. But, since necessity is the mother of invention, I came up with this Paleo Apple Shortbread Crumble recipe!
Since I discovered my allergies to dairy, gluten, and legumes (read more about that here), I have been on the hunt for some awesome allergy free desserts. Growing up, we always had dessert after dinner. Sometimes, we even had dessert for breakfast! It’s a hard habit to break. A life without dessert is not a life I want to live. Luckily, after Whole30, my dessert cravings aren’t as intense as they once were. I also feel like Paleo and allergen free recipes are more satisfying than their “empty calorie” counterparts. And, they don’t make me feel miserable, which is the best part! No more guilty desserts for me! Woo!
Paleo Apple Shortbread Crumble is such a good fall dessert. It is warm and gooey and hearty, and reminds me of the crumbles my mom used to make when I was little. Except back then, I’d just scoop the toppings off of the fruit when no one was looking. Bonus, now my house smells AMAZING.
Paleo Apple Shortbread Crumble
Shortbread part –
1 c almond flour
1/2 c coconut flour
1/3 c melted coconut oil
1/3 c pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
Apple part –
3 apples, cored and diced
1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp arrowroot powder
1/4 c pure maple syrup
Crumble part –
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 c coconut flour
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp softened coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
3. Combine all shortbread ingredients in a bowl.
4. Press mixed shortbread into bottom of parchment lined pan.
5. Bake for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
6. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the apple part.
Apple part –
1. Put all apple part ingredients into a pan and mix them together.
2. Place on stove over medium heat.
3. Stir continuously until sauce thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and turn off stove.
Crumble part –
1. Mix all crumble part ingredients in a bowl.
Putting them all together –
1. Pour cooked apple part onto cooked shortbread part.
2. Spread apple part so it covers all of shortbread part.
3. Sprinkle all of crumble part on top of apple part.
4. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top of the crumble part is lightly brown.
*Serve with non-dairy ice cream such as So Delicious Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
*Refrigerate any leftovers.
Paleo Apple Shortbread Crumble is:
– dairy free
– gluten free
– soy free