Wanna know my dirty little secret? I hate vegetables. Especially mushy soggy cooked ones. A slimy onion or a mushy tomato can completely turn me off to an otherwise amazing meal.
When I started Whole30 I was ready to change my life. (Read more about my Whole30 journey here.) I quickly learned that change #1 was going to have to be to figure out how to eat vegetables. A girl can only eat eggs for so many meals. My solution? Hide the veggies from myself!
I love the flavor that onions and peppers add to foods. I just don’t like their slimy texture. So, I made this awesome soup, pulled the veggies out after cooking, pureed them, and added them back to the soup. Boom! Fantastic flavors, creamy soup, and hidden veggies!
Double boom? It’s a crockpot recipe. Hidden veggies and it cooks while you’re at work? Yes, please! Also, I recently learned you can put the inside stone part of your crock pot in the dishwasher (my family always hand washed dishes). At this point, the kitchen from Beauty and The Beast is practically cooking your dinner for you! That for sure makes this recipe a triple threat. Now, where are the woodland creatures to help clean my house?
Whole30 Chicken Soup
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (if frozen, make sure they are thawed)
- 1 medium onion, rough sliced with layers separated
- 1 medium green pepper, membranes removed and rough sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed and rough sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ tsp. ground cumin (add more to taste)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. chili powder (add more to taste)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- Chop all of your vegetables. I usually slice my onion and peppers into about 8 pieces each and then separate each layer of the onion before putting them in the slow cooker. If you slice them too small, it will make it more difficult to remove them from the soup later.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic and spices to the bottom of a slow cooker. (I layer them in that order)
- Arrange chicken on top of vegetables and spices in a single layer.
- Add broth.
- Place lid on slow cooker.
- Set heat to LOW and cook 7-8 hours or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and place on a plate.
- Remove veggies from slow cooker and put in a blender.
- Puree your veggies and add them back to the slow cooker.
- Shred your chicken with two forks and return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker.
- Turn heat to HIGH. Add coconut milk, stir and replace lid.
- Continue heating an additional 10-15 minutes or until soup is heated through.