I love soup. All year, all weather. I don’t care. Soup makes me happy. With this in mind, this Chipotle Sweet Potato soup is the best. To be sure, it is warm and creamy and has a bit of heat to it. I love it. My favorite part is that it is just a big bowl of vegetables but it has the consistency of a cream based soup. Feels bad. Tastes good.
The one thing I caution you on with this Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup recipe is the addition of the adobo chilis. When I first started making this soup, I always added too many. I thought “Hey! I love spicy food, and I don’t want to make a wussy soup!” and would always add two peppers and at least a spoonful of sauce. Of course, each and every time I made it too hot. Without fail, I would only be able to eat a half a cup of soup before having to tap out.
I finally grew up, swallowed my pride, and only used one pepper at a time. This soup is much better when the heat is just enough to warm you up and maybe make you sweat a bit. Not when it’s hot enough that you have to stop eating and chug a few bottles of water. That is not a healthy diet plan. Food is fuel.
Chipotle Sweet Potato Soup
1-2 tablespoons oil
1/2 yellow onion, rough copped
2-3 cloves minced garlic
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, rough chopped
1 tsp adobo sauce from chipotle pepper can (less or more if you want less or more heat)
14 ounces (one can) veggie or chicken broth
1/2 tsp black pepper (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp nutmeg (or more to taste)
1/4 tsp ground cloves (or more to taste)
- First chop onion and potato, mince the garlic.
- In a medium size spot heat oil over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add in the cubed sweet potato, chopped chipotle pepper, and a little bit of the adobo sauce (I add about 1 tsp).
- Next add the broth and turn the heat down to medium/low.
- Cook for 20 minutes before checking to see if sweet potatoes are soft. If they are not soft yet, continue to cook and re-check until they are soft.
- Pour everything into a blender (or a bowl if you are using an immersion blender).
- Add black pepper, nutmeg, and ground cloves.
- Finally, I usually add at least ½ cup of water to the soup to get the consistency I like. I prefer the soup to be a bit creamier and bisque-esque and less thick and chunky. But to each her own!
*Vegetable broth will make this vegan.
*Both vegetable and chicken broth versions are Whole30 compliant.
Original recipe: http://abeautifulmess.com/2012/09/spicy-chipotle-sweet-potato-soup.html